Saturday, December 15, 2007

I'm no Daniel, that's for sure

I've been reading the book of Daniel. I remember reading the popular stories as a kid, Daniel in the lion's den, the fiery furnace. Those stories were so important to introducing a little kid to a powerful God that can save you from the mouths of ferocious lions and really piping hot fire. But, as I read the book as an adult, an introspective and soul-searching adult, I'm seeing the real meat of the stories - people so passionate about their God that they are willing to die for what they believe, to give up their very lives for a God that gave them that life. What am I willing to give? A faith like Daniel, Meshach, Shadrach and Abednego's compared to my own makes mine look quite apathetic. I know that I will never face the threat of a lion's mouth or to be burnt alive, but what am I willing to forsake? Reading my bible nightly makes me uncomfortable. Praying daily makes me uneasy and seems, at times, cumbersome and burdensome. So there you have it, a few minutes of discomfort and I feel that I've suffered my fair share of persecution!

For a person I believe died for my very eternity, a God I believe breathed into me my very first breath - I owe more. He deserves much more and better. Oprah once said, struggling with trying to lose weight, that discipline comes by doing. You aren't magically motivated. You motivate by getting off your rear and doing something. That's the only way I will give God more. By simply giving Him more. There will never come a day when I will all of the sudden feel incredibly inspired to read my entire bible as fast as I can and pray for hours on end. Faith is endurance. Faith is a marathon. But I can't run the race if I don't at least start by putting on my running shoes. So, here's the passion plan: Today - a chapter of the bible and some prayer, Tomorrow - a fiery furnace... or maybe just more bible and prayer.

No comments: