Monday, December 17, 2007

Hallelujah! He sleeps in the crib!

My mom bought Derek this great bassinet before he was born. She buys them for all her grandkids. It's her signature gift. Well, he's slept in it all of 3 hours in his life. The longest he'll sleep in it is for about 15 minutes. He'll only sleep in his swing. Doctors have tons of reasons why babies don't like sleeping on their back: acid reflux, too different from the womb, yada yada yada. But, he's just getting too big to sleep in his swing. We decided to forego the bassinet and save it for kid #2. Paul went to buy the crib. We put it together yesterday and I was determined to have him transitioned to it by the end of the day. I laid him down for a nap and he slept in it for about 40 minutes. Progress!! Last night, we laid him down for the evening and he wailed for about an hour. Difficult, yes, but my determination was not swayed by the sad cries of my son. After that hour, I fed him and laid him back down. He slept through the night! Waking up once to feed!! I can't tell you how excited this makes me. My chest is puffed up with pride. There's just such an immense feeling of satisfaction that I've accomplished something as his mother, even if it's as simple as getting him to sleep in his crib. Way to go, my beautiful little crib sleeper!

3 comments:

Tony Lopez said...

Great picture of Derek. Love the silly look on his face! Right now we think he looks like...Asher? These things change on a monthly basis.

Love, Tony

Teresa said...

Those Lopez genes are pretty dang dominant! You should see his ears, they stick out just like Dad's.

Mark Thomas said...

Congrats on this victory.